Dean Dollar’s Bus (#48) will be 30 minutes late taking students home this afternoon. Jane Aten, Bus #73 will be arriving at the school at 3:15 to do Dean’s afternoon run.
Dear Parents & Guardians,
Central Queens is having a Battery Blitz from now until March 8th, 2018 and we’d love your help in collecting used batteries. The winning school will get a pizza party sponsored by the Earth Rangers – who came to our school on February 15 and let our students get up close and personal with some interesting animals. All used batteries under 5kg are welcome (except wet cell batteries). If you have any questions you can visit http://www.earthrangers.org/batteryblitz or contact the school.
It has been brought to our attention that the positive battery terminals should have masking or electrical tape over them – required by the FDA. If you can tape them prior to sending them in, it would help out considerably!
Thank you to all who have sent in batteries already! It is greatly appreciated.
Please note, the actual contest closes on March 16th but the batteries have to be weighed, shipped and arrive at the contest headquarters by that date.
Thank you for your support with helping to keep batteries out of our landfills.
Safety Requirements for projects that go on to the provincial science fair
- Backboards must be sturdy and self supporting;
- The size of your backboard has to fit the available space, so your three-panel structure must be no higher than 350cm from the floor, 80cm deep and 120cm from side to side;
- All moving parts should fit on the display table;
- No open flame on display;
- Pressurized containers must have safety valves;
- Electrical cords and devices must be CSA approved with grounding;
- Lasers cannot be operated during the public session;
- No biological toxins are permitted on display;
- Living organisms are not permitted on display;
- Please contact our committee if you are not sure about a material and its suitability at the fair.
Assuming that there is not another storm on the way, we will be having regular classes on Thursday and Friday.
Elementary and Intermediate Schools have received direction from the Public Schools Branch that in the event of a storm day on Tuesday, Jan. 30th, Wednesday will remain a School Goals PD Day (no classes) for Central Queens Elementary.
CQES Science Fair will be on Wednesday, March 7th.
Students who signed up for the science fair will bring home information packages today.